Drumset Chronology (Poll?)
Aaron Draper
2005-08-21 12:50:52 UTC
I was out looking at a used kit with my guitarist friend the other day and
he was ragging on me for buying and selling so many drumsets. He asked how
many I have owned, and I guessed 15. I decided to sit down and try to
recall exactly how many drumsets I have owned. Here is a list in rough
chronological order with my first kit at the top:

Apollo/gold sparkle
Ludwig/chrome
Pearl Export/blue
Rogers/blue
Apollo/blue onyx
Slingerland/??
Tama Royalstar/red
Mapex Orion/black birdseye maple
Ludwig Classic Fab Four/Black oyster pearl (X3)
Ludwig Classic Vintage/silver sparkle
Pearl Export/navy blue (Nick's)
Taye Studio Maple/piano black (jmt's)
Sonor Performer/midnight blue (X3)
Gretsch/walnut lacquer
Tama Starclassic Performer/various (X3)

21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you? Are there more drum
kits in your past than you thought? I regret selling every one of these
kits. Just one more SCP kit to buy, and I'm DONE.

:-)

....Aaron
Tom Betka
2005-08-21 13:45:33 UTC
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:50:52 -0400, "Aaron Draper"
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
1) Blue Japanese El-Crappo kit
2) Black Slingerland x2 (with add-ons)
3) Cherry Tama Superstar
4) Black Pearl MX (a big mistake)
5) Hot Red Yamaha RCs (with ~10 extra drums--a LONG story...tear)
6) Cherry Slingerland cheapo kit (one of the best sounding I have ever
owned)
7) Black Yamaha MCs (yuck)
8) Champagne Sparkle Gretsch kit
9) Blue DWs (double yuck)
10) Champagne Sparkle DWs (God bless Carlos Vega)
11) Blue Sonor Designers*
12) Rosewood Gretsch
13) Roland TD-20

* I never actually saw these drums--Anthony Hillhouse bought them from
me while still at Bentley's Drum. But technically I guess they were
mine while being shipped from Germany...lol.

DAMN--only 13 kits in 30 years playing. I betcha alot of you guys beat
that in less than 10 years.

Cool thread!

TB
Dan Radin
2005-08-21 14:09:31 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you? Are there more drum
kits in your past than you thought? I regret selling every one of these
kits. Just one more SCP kit to buy, and I'm DONE.
1. No name Japanese, sold after about 2-3 years, heavily modified,
rewrapped, etc. Started as 14x20, 9x13, 6/8/10 Rototoms, 5x14 Pearl Maxwin
metal snare, Zildjian 18" A Crash Ride and a 16" A Field (clang!).
2. Early 80s Tama Swingstar, 16x22, 11x12, 12x13, 16x16F, 6.5x14 steel, sold
at the end of their functional life
3. Premier Genista (purchased new), 16x20, 8x8, 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16,
for sale, main kit for ~5 years
4. Maxtone (Japanese Slingerland knockoff), 14x20, 8x12, 14x14F, heavily
modified, rehearsal kit for 2-3 years, sold
5. DW Collectors, 18x22, 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, sold after just a couple of
weeks
6. Spaun Custom, 18x22, 9x12, 12x15F, 6.5x14 16 ply maple, sold after about
six months
7. Baltimore Pro, 16x18, 8x10, 12x14F, 6x13 10+6 maple, sold to Pat McD,
miss 'em
8. Baltimore Premium, 18x22 (10 ply BD, 6+6 toms), 8x10, 9x12, 13x15F,
14x16F, sold. great sound, too heavy
9. Gretsch, 14x20, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14F, use 'em 75% of the time
10. Gretsch, 16x24, 10x12, 11x13, 16x16F, sold the 12 & 13, use singles with
#8, added more singles: 8x10, 8x8, 14x18

Would like to move #3 and add something vintage-sounding like 60s Luds, WFL,
Leedy, round badge Gretsch, etc. Or maybe have a kit built with Keller
vintage shells or stave shells.

I'll probably buy more in the future, but in reality, my Gretsches do 99% of
what I could ever want out of drums.
Tom Betka
2005-08-21 15:11:08 UTC
Post by Tom Betka
[...]
Oh man...I forgot my 'best' kit--a CB-700 kit I had in there
somewhere. With shells almost an inch thick they resonated like, well,
a cement block I suppose. I can't even remember where that was in the
scheme of things. Very forgettable, apparently...
Aaron Draper
2005-08-21 14:44:07 UTC
I guess I should clarify and say that of those listed, I still own two of
the SCP kits, and I'm looking for one more.

Thanks, TB.

....Aaron
TB
Sam Savoca
2005-08-21 14:01:19 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
Majestic 5 piece - Dark blue pearl
Rogers 6 Piece - KOA wood
Ludwig Classic 8 piece - black cortex
Pearl Masters Studio 6 piece- Vintage Sunburst- still have it
Ludwig Accent 5 piece junior kit- Black cortex - still have it
Gretsch USA Maple 5 piece Vintage Maple - still have it
Rogers 60's 4 piece Champagne sparkle - still have it

Only 7 sets. and I still have 4 of them. Wow. I've only sold off 3 kits!

Sam S.
Zomoniac
2005-08-21 14:40:01 UTC
On 21/8/05 13:50, in article 4OGdneF4hYX045XeRVn-***@cablespeedmi.com, "Aaron
Draper" <***@cablespeed.com> wrote:

1) Offensively cheap crap Ryan kit / Black
2) Premier weird unidentifiable kit (nobody knows what it is / Emerald
3) Tama Starclassic Performer / Indigo
4) Roland TD8-K heavily upgraded
5) Yamaha DTXtreme 2s
6) Jalapeno Elite / Purple Satin

Now all I have is my Jalapenos, which I very nearly destroyed on Thursday
when my bass drum case strap came loose, it fell out and hit the wood floor
very hard. Fortunately it had a metal black hoop which is what hit the
floor, and bent badly, so I need a new hoop, some new claws and rods, but
the shell's fine.

So six kits over eight years. And I intend to keep the one I have now for a
fair while.

Zo
Paul Hobson
2005-08-21 14:45:40 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
1998 - Green wrapped Tama Swingstar
2001 - Green lacquered Yamaha Stage Custom
2003 - Matte Cheery Red Lacquered Yamaha Stage Custom - I don't see this
thing going anywhere for a long time...I love it! (crosses fingers)

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
if you want to reply to me:.
Wm Donley
2005-08-21 15:23:07 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you? Are there more drum
kits in your past than you thought? I regret selling every one of these
kits. Just one more SCP kit to buy, and I'm DONE.
Sure, just as I'm thinking of selling my SCPs, you cause me to think
about it. Any tricks on getting all the fullness out of a 14"SCP
tom?....

Lessee, pretty paltry for as long as I've been at it, since '68:

3 pc no-name Japanese {BDP}
5 pc custom built Japanese {blue sparkle, no bottom lug holes}
4 pc Sonor {red sparkle}
a second 4pc Sonor added to the first, double everything
9 pc Slingerland {chrome, 24" basses, timbales, thunder sheet and asst.
percussion} my Pink Floyd period......
4pc *old* Slingerland/Ludwig {asst. shells, wrapped and lugged to
match} Probably the best sounding set of any I've had.
4 pc Ludwig Super Classic {silver sparkle. gigged it friday night}
5pc Tama SCPs {currently under question- do they stay, or go}
4 pc Yamaha HipGig {blue, practice, lounge set}
Roland V-club {home practice}

Bill D.
--
If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto
"Strange Fruit"
Aaron Draper

"Strange Fruit"
Wm Donley
2005-08-21 16:11:57 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
Hey, Bill, if those SCPs are 12-13-16-22 and you decide to sell them soon,
let me know....
Hi. No, they're 10/12/14x14/22. That's why I'm thinking of trading them
in. I play mainly R&B, and classic rock, and just haven't quite come to
grips with the smaller tom sound. It really cuts, but just not as full,
to my ears. I am coming from using '68 Ludwigs for years,and the SCP
bass kicks major booty over it. People listening have been real
complimentary, tho. Last out side gig, I had two drummers come up to
comment how good they sounded. I know theirs a difference out there
compared to what we hear, but that much? Go figure.........Bill D.
--
If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto
"Strange Fruit"
Aaron Draper
2005-08-21 15:50:19 UTC
I am holding out for the larger tom sizes mainly for the same reason--I play
a lot of classic rock. I'm also kind of a tall gangly ape and 10-12-14s look
like toys in front of me. :-) I had the smaller tom sizes in the Tayes and
they seemed to fit the bill, but the bandmates made me go back to 12-13-16.
And I hear ya on the SCP bass drum--yummy.

...Aaron
"Strange Fruit"
Dan Radin
Why not just grab a 10/12/14, sell the 10 and add a 16?
Aaron Draper
2005-08-22 16:51:37 UTC
Post by Dan Radin
Post by Aaron Draper
I am holding out for the larger tom sizes mainly for the same reason--I play
a lot of classic rock. I'm also kind of a tall gangly ape and 10-12-14s look
like toys in front of me. :-) I had the smaller tom sizes in the Tayes and
they seemed to fit the bill, but the bandmates made me go back to 12-13-16.
And I hear ya on the SCP bass drum--yummy.
Hey Aaron,
Why not just grab a 10/12/14, sell the 10 and add a 16?
Hmmm.......
(contemplates)

....Aaron
Dan Radin
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7344715457
Aaron Draper

jeff wald
2005-08-23 02:08:28 UTC
So..., are those birch or maple?
--
jeff wald
tony kujawa
2005-08-23 18:11:26 UTC
birch. maple have painted on badges and wood air hole grommets
Post by jeff wald
So..., are those birch or maple?
--
jeff wald
John P
2005-08-21 16:41:36 UTC
"Aaron Draper" wrote in a message
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall.
In what time period? That seems almost like an obsession or an addiction.
I would be the opposite. I tend to fall in love with a given instrument, buy
it and keep it forever. ... I've owned 4 drum kits in my life (I still have
2 of them), maybe 8 guitars (I still have 2 of them), 2 trumpets (none), 2
synths (have both).

... now all the gear that goes with them, that's a different story. Amps,
pedals, effects, PA gear, recording gear... that seems to change with the
times.
Aaron Draper
2005-08-21 16:46:19 UTC
Aside from a half-hearted 6-month drumming stint in '88 (the first two kits
listed were from back then), I started drumming in '93. So the 19 kits I've
had from '93 to '05 would put me at 1.58 kits per year. Not *too*, bad,
right?

It *is* an addiction--GAS. I had it bad there for a while, especially since
I started coming in here about 5 years ago. But there are and were times I
owned several kits at once due to two bands playing different styles.

I really do believe that I have fallen in love with my SCPs, and don't
envision playing anything else unless my musical tastes change. But I said
that about my Sonors and Ludwigs too. :-)

I am surprised that I have had the most kits, thus far. Of course, there
may be some apes who need a couple days to complete their lists. :-)

....Aaron
times.
John P
2005-08-21 19:28:59 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
Aside from a half-hearted 6-month drumming stint in '88 (the first two kits
listed were from back then), I started drumming in '93. So the 19 kits I've
had from '93 to '05 would put me at 1.58 kits per year. Not *too*, bad,
right?
I know someone who collects anything and everything to do with Clowns,
someone else who is the same with Unicorns. Some people collect cars, some
art, some people fill their house with Velvet Elvis paintings. If collecting
Drum Kits is your addiction, I'd say it's a damn fine addiction when
compared to other choices. :-)
Frisco
2005-08-22 01:37:50 UTC
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:46:19 -0400, "Aaron Draper"
Post by Aaron Draper
I am surprised that I have had the most kits, thus far. Of course, there
may be some apes who need a couple days to complete their lists. :-)
....Aaron
I had to take off my shoes to count mine, and then my wifes shoes, and
then her bra, and her... um, be right back... ;-)

<short nap later>

OK, let's see -

If I use your rules and only count from '93 on, not in exact order :

1. Sonor Performers - gunmetal grey
2. Mapex Venus series - black
3. Pearl Export - Fire-engine red
4. Premier Signia Maples - white
5. Sonor Sonic Plus (x2) Stain red and blue
6. Sonor Force 3000 (x4) white, white, white, and white (don't ask,
still own one kit)
7. Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes - Sea Blue (sold to Glenn D.)
8. Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes - Black sparkle
9. Yamaha Maple Custom Absolues - Red sparkle
10. Yamaha Beech Custom Absolutes - Caramel color (earth?)
11. RMV Bapeva - Turquoise/blue sparkle
12. DW Collectors series - Black sparkle
13. Sonor S-Class - cherry
14. Spaun - stain blue
15. Tama Starclassic Maple - blue (just got these Friday)
16. No-name Japanese Gretsch copies, for $20 off eBay. Giving them to
a niece to start playing
17. Pin-Tech electronic kit w/ DX2 - are we counting those too?

Total = 21 - it's a tie if you're counting the PinTechs.

I also had a Ludwig gold sparkle as my first kit around 1970, then an
amber Vistalite kit from maybe '74 thru '83. played guitar for that
last 10 years and then started playing drums again in maybe '94.

So really I've owned 23 kits over the years. Lots were just to try
them out. The one set that won't ever get sold is the original white
Force 3000 kit. The other F3K kits were to get add-ons or just out of
pure GAS frenzy (I had every size they made with doubles at one point,
very Speegle or Aaron-ish!) ;-)

Although I have calmed down quite a bit in the last 2 years (mostly
from lack of $$$ lately - my dog had a stroke and the vet bill was
more than what I sold my MCA's for), now I wait for sizes I really
like and drums I really want to try. I prefer the small toms, unlike
several people who've mentioned they like big toms already. The new
SCM's that Doug Fuller sold me are 10-12-15 and feel just about
PERFECT to me!

Paul
Jeff Burns
2005-08-22 01:51:47 UTC
Hmmm... I haven't had too many kits so this isn't so bad.

(1) I call this my DDSD Kit. A 1970's Ludwig / Slingerland concert tom
kit in Silver wrap. All maple with a killer 24" kick.

(2) My Premier XPKs from 1994 - Old style with long lugs in a sappahire
blue stain. I still use these as they sound great, were affordable, and
by changing heads I can make then do anything. 8,10,12,13,14,16 toms
with a 22 kick.

(3) Purecussion Flats - 12,14 toms with a 20 kick. Not a bad sound with
the pre-tuned skins and you can beat it for in and out practice for
musicals or whatever.

(4) My new (to me) Premier maple Signias. Lovingly wrapped in Silver
Glass Glitter 8,10,12,14 and 22 kick. Just SWEET!

Only four kits and I've been playing since grade school... Some of you
guys put me too shame!
Robert Campbell
2005-08-22 03:31:20 UTC
And you guys give me a rough time about having a large snare drum
collection? :)
I've only had 4 kits in 30 yrs!

Bob
Paul
Frisco
2005-08-24 17:44:06 UTC
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the impact of RMMP to their gas
habits. My first three kits covered all of about 25 years - in the
past 5 years of RMMP is where the remaining 20 kits came into my life.

Peer pressure can be such a bad thing... ;-)

Paul
Paul
Aaron Draper

Paul
jeff wald
2005-08-21 16:33:24 UTC
In no particular order:
Early 60's Slingerland 4 pc. Black Diamond Pearl 22, 13, 16, 5.5(matching)
1982 Tama Royalstars 5 pc. - Wine Red with turret lugs 22, 12, 13, 16,
5.5(metal)
Mid 60's Gretsch 3 pc. - White Marine Pearl 20, 12, 14
Mid 60's Slingerland 4pc - WMP 22, 13, 16, 5.5(matching)
Mid 60's Rogers 4pc. - Black Onyx 20, 12, 16, 5(matching)
Rogers 4 pc. - Koa 22, 12, 16, 6 ?(dynasonic)
80's Tama SuperStar 4 pc. - Mahogany 22, 13(standard), 16, 18
80's Tama Superstar 3pc. - Red Wine 24, 13, 14 (deep2)
Mid 60's Ludwig Classic 4 pc. - Silver Sparkle 22, 13, 16, 5.5(supra)
1959 WFL 4pc. - WMP 22, 13, 16, 5(matching)
Simmons 5pc. - Black 6 sided(bigger), 6 sided, 6 sided, 6 sided, 6 sided, 6
sided
Assorted snares and orphans and hardware.
--
jeff wald
....Aaron
b***@iwaynet.net
2005-08-21 17:05:35 UTC
Oh man, I like to think of myself as a gearhead, but I'm such a piker
compared to you guys!

1. 1930's Slingerland kit with Huge bass (Originally my dad's) My mom
against my huge protests made me sell it. She had no sense of artistic
value.
2. 1940 Slingerland kit also with huge bass. Still got it. Saw an
identical kit in really poor shape sell for $1500 almost instantly over
at GC. It's the "ultimate" "swingers" drumkit!
3. Sunlite junk kit. 12,13,16,22. Tore it apart to build my maple kit
and then cobbled a kit bact together with it and sold it.
4. Home built Keller shell maple kit. 10, 12,13,16, 18, 22. My dive
bar kit. also use the 16 or 18 as a bass for a "jungle" kit with 10 and
13.
5. Mapex Orions. My top end kit. Usually too good to trust with drunks.

Only five kits. I feel SO inadequate! But hey, guys, I ALSO own 10 bass
guitars!

Benj
BKO
2005-08-23 14:06:35 UTC
I also had an early 60's Slingerland three piece kit (don't remember much
about it). I added a couple of toms, and removed the wrap and recover them
with something sparkly). Gone long ago.
'67 Ludwig 5 piece (Clasic Ringo wrap? - something Oyster?). I still have
them, and use the snare (supra).
Early 70's double bass set (unknown make). Sold very soon afterward.
Another unknown make (rebuilt and unmarked but I'm sure they're CBs). I
keep them for nasty gigs (they sound as good as an expensive kit with tape
and pillows added :).
Taye Tour Pro. 2003. Use them (wide open).

brent
D2
2005-08-23 16:08:28 UTC
Hmmm..

Dixie WMP 3-piece

Blue Sparkle Something or other 5-piece

Yet another blue sparkle no-name 5-piece. Combined with first one to
create a big-ass blue kit.

Ludwig Club Date mystery "wood" finish 4-piece.

Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 4-piece. 20/16/13.

12 & 13 concert tom add-on to Ludwig BDP kit.

Another, identical Ludwig BDP 4 piece combined with the above kit and
toms to create yet another stupid big kit. (Ahh . . . to be young and
full of energy again).

Ludwig WMP 6 piece. 24/18/16/14/13. Grey splatter interiors and sounded
like shit. My first new kit bought with my own money.

Ludwig black cortex 4-Piece 22/16/13. Rogers Memri-Lock tom holders
drums.

12 and 15 add-on toms for above. I blame Roger Taylor for this kit.

Rogers WMP 5-piece. Never gigged, sold to finance motorcycle purchase.

Early Tama Superstar 6-piece. 24/16/14/14/13. Matte natural finish that
started splitting.

Tama Superstar Super Mahogany finish 6-piece. 22/18/16/13/12/10/8.
Warranty replacement for above kit. Great drums!

Tama Superstar Super Mahogany 5-piece. 22/16/13/12 with X-tras toms.

Tama Imperialstar-Jet Black 5-piece. 22/16/13/12 standard size toms.

Tama Superstar-Piano Black 5-piece as above.

Tama Superstar-Piano White. 22/16/13/12/10. Virgin shells and RIMS
mounts. The one kit I regret selling the most.

Tama Artstar-Custom Finish. 24/22/16/13/12/10/Gong Drum/Wood Timbales.
Same kit pictured in Tama's ads announcing custom paint program.

Tama Artstar-Birds Eye Maple. 22/16/14/13/12/10. Custom made standard
sized toms. Virgin shells/RIMS.

Yamaha Recording Custom 5-piece. 22/16/13/12. Quartz Grey.

Noble and Cooley Horizon 5-piece. 22/14/12/10. Solid white.

Pearl Master Studio 6-piece. 22/16/14/12/10. Sheer Blue

Pearl Master Studio 8x10, 8x12 for above kit.

Pearl Master Studio 4-piece. Natural Birch Finish. 22/16/12. Back to
floor toms and standard sizes from here on.

Pearl Master Studio 14x14 for above.

Ludwig 1965 22/16/13/12 Silver Sparkle.

Ludwig 197? 22/16/13/12 Mach 5 Maple Cortex.

Pearl Sessions 22/14/12/10/8 Emerald Green Finish.

Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition. 22/16/14/12.

Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition 9x12 for above.

Pearl EXR 22/16/13/12 Strata White.

The sad thing is that I'm certain I've forgotten about a few kits.

God, I'm a whore.
Jim
I didn't realize you were left handed!!
D2
2005-08-24 18:21:01 UTC
Post by Jim
I didn't realize you were left handed!!
Nyuk, nyuk. . .took me a minute. Not a lefty but have usually listed
kits from largest to smallest size. Dunno why, makes sense to me.
BKO
2005-08-24 19:30:19 UTC
Post by D2
Post by Jim
I didn't realize you were left handed!!
Nyuk, nyuk. . .took me a minute. Not a lefty but have usually listed
kits from largest to smallest size. Dunno why, makes sense to me.
Wow, I too wondered where that came from, but couldn't see it (and I'm a
lefty! :)

brent
RKRM
#1.) Unknown used crap kit blue and red drums. Re-did them in black. With a
can of spray paint. Hey, I was 12. Even stupider after I took off the
hardware and spread paper underneath where I had hung the shells my mother
about kicked my ass as she wanted to know why I thought it was appropriate
to paint my kit in my bedroom I moved to the garage. I played till my hands
bled. The neighbors and my parents eventually agreed to a certain times I
wouldn't play cause they got sick of the "noise" those were the days. Added
6", 8" and 10" roto's and played them untill the tom holder fell through the
top of the bass drum. 5 years.

#2.) Black (this one came that way) Tama Swingstar 5 piece kit w\Paiste
Cymbals. Great drums. Then came marriage\divorce apartmants\work & life and
no drums for 16 years.

#3.) 16 years later I realize that I can have drums my new wife is fine with
it I have the home with the room so I go for it. Roland TD-3SV. Awesome
after a month of trying to learn how to play again I grab a 120 watt amp and
the wife watches in horror as I start to drop hints that I want another
drumset as well.

#4.) Tama Starclassic Performer EFX w\sterling sparkle finish and a mix of
some very nice, nice and crap cymbals.

Literally within three months I went from having no drums for 16 years to
having two kits. The other day my wife just stared at the drums for a long
time and didn't say a word. I know what she was thinking...........how the
hell did
this happen?

http://tinyurl.com/dkgk5

Gotta love it.
Vince Schaefer
2005-08-21 18:08:23 UTC
Eight kits in 35 years, still own three.

First was a 4 piece Whitehall in the tiger stripe finish, which was gold and
browns etc. (sold)
got a Royce kit from trash which I fixed and used for church gigs so I
didn't have to move main kit. (sold)
My next kit was when I was a junior in high school bought with my own
money---
A 5 piece blue vistalite in the bigger size (sold)
A 5 piece wood Ludwig in the bigger sizes (I forget what they were, though
do remember having the deep snare, which was a very good drum!) (sold)
A 7 piece black Roger 8 ply maple was next. This kit sounded great, and back
then had a better bass drum than any others I heard. This kit also had
tymbali and cowbell. A couple tours I used a 5 piece version, using 12, 14
16! Later the DrumKAT was added above the hats. (kit sold)
A DrumKAT Turbo with QSR with samples, and an R-8.
A TD20 sessions kit
A 5 piece Maple Premier Artist series in Topaz. Also with tymbali and large
LP songo style bullbell.
I'm in the process of moving, but the last setup included the Roland and the
Premier together, along with the QSR and samples. (never gigged with it)
So-----8 kits, with 5 sold while still owning 3.
I agree with the thinking of the poster that said he tended to keep
drums or instruments a long time while outboard gear and pa stuffed changed
with the times. I know guitar players that could mess up this poll. Talking
about buying 70 guitars while only owning 4. (are we musicians or antique
roadshow dealers, anyway?)
Vince
John P
You need to mix those two together into a single kit. ;-)
Mark Karjaluoto
2005-08-21 21:37:00 UTC
Pretty easy for me:
Premier Elite (1960s) four piece: 1989-2000
Tama Sleeping Beauty pic snare: 1992- present
Roland SPD-8 (so I could keep playing in my university dorm): 1994-1996
Premier XPK Heritage five piece: 2000- present
Taye Tour Pro five piece: 2005 - present
Doug
2005-08-21 22:03:12 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
I was out looking at a used kit with my guitarist friend the other day and
he was ragging on me for buying and selling so many drumsets. He asked how
many I have owned, and I guessed 15. I decided to sit down and try to
recall exactly how many drumsets I have owned. Here is a list in rough
1. Leedy/Slingerland Shelly Mann - Black Pearl (made in Nov '63)
2. Pintech electronics
Glenn Dowdy
2005-08-22 02:46:16 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you? Are there more drum
kits in your past than you thought? I regret selling every one of these
kits. Just one more SCP kit to buy, and I'm DONE.
Yamaha Stage Custom, cranberry red (sold)
Yamaha Beech Custom, red apple (sold).
Yamaha Hip Gig Jr., black wrap
Yamaha Stage Custom, cranberry red (sold)
Yamaha Birch Custom, sea blue (still for sale)
Pacific CX, white pearl.

Not too many, but with basses it's a different story.

Ibanez SR-400
SX jazz, flame top.
Ibanez BTB510
SX p-bass, 3TS
Cort Josh Paul
SX jazz, black
SX jazz, lake placid blue
Fender MIA jazz, 3TS
Fender MIM precision, black
Fender frankenfender, white
SX p-bass, black
SX jazz, 3TS, short scale
SX jazz, 3TS
SX jazz, natural with blocked neck

I only still own the last five, and I've only been playing bass since 2002.

Glenn D.
George Lawrence
2005-08-22 02:54:07 UTC
There is not enough bandwidth to list them all: Let's just say that if you
have the drum jones like I do you end up a slave to a drum shop.

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb
....Aaron
Chris Milillo
2005-08-22 03:02:36 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you?
1) Stewart (4pc) - red sparkle
2) Ludwig (5pc)- Oyster
3) Ludwig Vistalite (12pc) - clear
4) Tama Imperialstar (13pc) - Metallic White
5) Tama Superstar (10pc) - Candy Apple Red
6) Modern Drum Shop (5pc) - Geranium Red
7) Tama Starclassic Performer - Transparent Black
8) Tama Starclassic Maple - Cherry Black

I'm the type to stick with what works for me. I even drive my cars from
the showroom floor, until they're just about dead. I still have kits #5, 6,
8, and the 20" kick from #7.

CM
Chris Milillo
2005-08-23 02:24:01 UTC
Post by Chris Milillo
Post by Aaron Draper
21 kits in all, as best I can recall. What about you?
1) Stewart (4pc) - red sparkle
2) Ludwig (5pc)- Oyster
3) Ludwig Vistalite (12pc) - clear
4) Tama Imperialstar (13pc) - Metallic White
5) Tama Superstar (10pc) - Candy Apple Red
6) Modern Drum Shop (5pc) - Geranium Red
7) Tama Starclassic Performer - Transparent Black
8) Tama Starclassic Maple - Cherry Black
I'm the type to stick with what works for me. I even drive my cars from
the showroom floor, until they're just about dead. I still have kits #5,
6, 8, and the 20" kick from #7.
CM
Forgot to include my black Simmons SDS9, which I still have in the garage.
Damned Neil Peart phase!

CM
David
2005-08-22 04:41:06 UTC
wine red generic, 5 piece (12,13,16,20,14)
red pearl exports, 5 piece (12,13,16,22,14)
red yamaha power V custom, 6 piece (10,12,13,16,22)
turqoise Yamaha Maple Custom, 6 piece (10,12,14,16,20,14)
wine red Pearl Masters Maple 4ply, 5 piece (10,12,16,22,14)...STOLEN!!!
back to Power V's...then...
sunburst Pearl Masters Birch (12,14,16,22,14)
black Tama stagestar (12,14,18,13)....funnest.kit.EVER.
honey maple keller 6ply 12" tom and 14" snare replace stagestar
tom/snare

Will finish 15" FT and 20" kick before 2006. Then, that's it.

...yeah..right....:-P

David
Chris Whealy
2005-08-22 05:09:14 UTC
1) Cheap Premier kit (Red - can't even remember the model)
2) Tama Rockstar 5pc (Black)
3) Tama Artstar II 6pc (Birdseye maple)
4) Mapex 5pc (can't remember the model)
5) Yamaha Stage Custom 5pc

Still got kits 3, 4 and 5, but kit 4 sits in its cases in storage most
of the time.

Chris W
Paul Hobson
2005-08-22 05:30:02 UTC
Post by Chris Whealy
1) Cheap Premier kit (Red - can't even remember the model)
2) Tama Rockstar 5pc (Black)
3) Tama Artstar II 6pc (Birdseye maple)
4) Mapex 5pc (can't remember the model)
5) Yamaha Stage Custom 5pc
Still got kits 3, 4 and 5, but kit 4 sits in its cases in storage most
of the time.
Chris W
How do you like the stage custom? for the price I paid, I could not be
happier!
if you want to reply to me:.
Chris Whealy
2005-08-22 06:50:44 UTC
Post by Paul Hobson
How do you like the stage custom? for the price I paid, I could not be
happier!
I got it a few months ago on e-bay for £380 to use as a practice kit. I
haven't had time to put decent heads on it yet, so I've only played it
with the factory heads (which I don't like too much).

I dare say though that after I put new heads on it and spend some time
tuning it, it will sound pretty good.

Chris W
--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
rick
2005-08-22 11:10:06 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
Tempro 5-pc blue oyster / marine pearl
Ludwig 7-pc black/clear vistalites (sold 'em....damn!)
mixed Leedy / Japanese??? 8-pc red sparkle
Tama Imperial Star 19-pc white metallic (sold 'em....damn!)
Pearl Export 5->7->6-pc black
Pacific CX 6-pc white onyx
Pearl Reference 7-pc twilight fade (any takers???)

Rick
www.vertigohaze.net
rick
2005-08-22 12:24:15 UTC
Post by rick
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
Oh yeah, I forgot......
I also had a makeshift electronic kit comprised of 3 Roland pd-31 (4-zone)
pads, Pintech kick trigger, Kat hat controller, and Alesis D4. Functional
and EXTREMELY portable. Had to sell it to pay for car repairs. And I had
another Japanese no-name import 5-pc that I used for
practice/teaching...that's being sold next week.

Rick
Brandon Paluzzi
2005-08-22 14:02:05 UTC
Hrmmm...

1 - 1962 Ludwig Club Date (12-14, 20) (inherited from my great uncle,
still use as my big band kit)
2 - 1980s Ludwig Classic (12-16, 22) (sold)
3 - 1990s Purecussion Flats (sold to Dan Radin)
4 - 1980s Pearl Export (10-12-13-14-16, 22) (sold)
5 - 1970s Slingerland (with copper metal wrap) (12-13-16, 22) (gave to
my little brother)
6 - 1980s Tama Granstar (8-10-12-14, 18) (sold 18, turned 8-14 into
electric kit)
7 - Yamaha DTXv2 (sold)
8 - 1980s Gretsch (12-14, 18) (sold)
9 - Pearl Masters Studio (8-10-12-14-16, 22, 26) (still use as my
pop/rock kit)
10 - Yamaha DTXtreme v1 (still use as practice kit)
11 - Spacemuffins Electronic (10-15, 18) (still use with my
electronic/looping project)
12 - Sonor Force 2003 (won at a drum-off, sold to my bass player)
13 - Gretsch Catalina Rock (14-16-18, 26) (still use with my main band)
Pat McDonald
2005-08-22 21:21:57 UTC
Starting with the first one,
Let's see if I can remember them all......

Cheap, toy gold sparkly kit when I was about 6. Killed it in a matter of
minutes and it ended up in the attic for years until I hit about 10 and dug
it back out for some reason. That is when the bug bit hard.

A little no-name junior sized blue oyster kit with one bass drum, one tom and
one cheap, pressed cymbal. Tha bass drum was probably 14"! I remember
playing along to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on them.

Finally talked the parents into a "real" kit-some contact papered, Tiawanese
pile of junk like Kent or Zim-Gar but had no badges or brand labels. The
music store salesman told me they were Ludwigs because they had a Ludwig head
on the bass drum. I believed him.

A Ludwig Chrome-O-Wood kit with a 24" Kick ,12-13" Concert toms and an 18"
Floor. My first real pro kit with real hardware and A Speed King pedal!
I later added a 22" Chrome Slingerland bass drum and a set of 6-8-10" Roto
Toms. My Neil Peart phase had begun. Sold them long ago.

Yamaha Recording Custom Piano White 8,10,12, 14, 16, 18 and 2-22 kicks.
Full hardware, cases, pedals-the works. Used 'em for years and split them
into a couple of kits and sold them to students.

Sonor Teardrop Rosewood 12, 13, 16, 20 bought used in '86. My Berklee kit.
Sold last year online.

Purple Gretsch Custom 8,10,12, 14, 16, 22 bought from Thoroughbred Music in
Sarasota. Wrapped them in silver sparkle and used them with CDB for the
last 6 years. Still have them.

Sonor Phonic in a copper-ish looking wrap 12, 13, 16, 22. Bought in
Florida and loaned to Matt Abts for the first Gov't Mule rehearsals/demos.
Sold to student.

ddrum3 Turbo. Still have them.

Rogers Concert tom kit 12, 13, 14, 16, 22 bought at a grage sale in Fla and
sold to a student after refurbishing them. Wrapped in a satin-y blue wrap.
Nice kit.

Gretsch Custom Natural Maple 12, 14, 18 bop kit bought in a pawn shop for
$200. Sold them to a friend 3 yrs later for $300. What can I say? We
all have our stupid tax to pay.....

Noble & Cooley CD Maple Purple 8,10, 12, 14,16, 22. Used on the road with
Tanya Tucker and the first few CDB dates. Returned them to N&C to be
refinished in a darker metallic purple a few years ago. Still have them.
Used them today.

Baltimore Orange Satin 10, 14, 18 bop kit bought from Dan Radin. Gave
Grando the matching 6x13 snare for Christmas and still have the rest of the
kit.

DW Tobacco Burst 12, 14, 18 bop kit bought online a couple of years ago.
Still have them.

Gretsch Custom Purple 8,10, 12, 14, 16, 22 received as my first free endorser
kit. Beautiful! Sitting downstairs as I type this.

SonorLite Gray/Blue 8,10,12, 13, 14,16, 22 bought online about 3 years ago.
Sold last year to the artist rep at Evans drumheads. Beautiful kit but I
just didn't need them. He wanted them badly so I let them go. I kinda
regret it. If I find another kit, I'm buying them. Radcliffe and
Jeffrey Speegle have hoarded all the Yellow Lites but I will have some
someday......

Gretsch Custom 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 24 bought on eBay and wrapped in red
sparkle for this year's CDB tour. Using all but the 18 (which will be
converted into a bass drum someday) with CDB right now. They're sitting in
road trunks on the equipment truck.

I think that's it. 16 kits in almost 30 years of playing and I still have
6 of them. Not too bad I suppose. I'm certain there will be more before
it's all over.....

Pat
John P
2005-08-23 02:59:52 UTC
"Pat McDonald" wrote in a message
Purple Gretsch Custom...
Noble & Cooley CD Maple Purple...
Gretsch Custom Purple...
The only color that seemed to be repeated. Purple is kinda gay. You ain't
gay, are ya Pat? :-)
Pat McDonald
2005-08-23 05:00:47 UTC
Post by John P
"Pat McDonald" wrote in a message
Purple Gretsch Custom...
Noble & Cooley CD Maple Purple...
Gretsch Custom Purple...
The only color that seemed to be repeated. Purple is kinda gay. You ain't
gay, are ya Pat? :-)
(In his best Big Gay Al voice...)

" Why YESSSSS. Thankth for athking...!"

; )

Pat
Russ Benoit
2005-08-22 16:07:41 UTC
Good gravy, I'm a little nothing compared with some of you GAS heads :-)

5 Piece Pearl International in black, 22, 12, 13, 16 (sold to finance
the next kit)
7 piece Mapex Mars Pro in silver, 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 (sold then got back
in trade)
7 piece Pearl Export in white, 22, 10, 12, 13, 16
5 piece Pearl Export in black, 22, 12, 13, 16
4 piece Ludwigs re-wrapped with white satin flame from George, 22, 13,
16 (which are pretty much the only tubs I play, period)

Then, there's the 3 acoustic guitars, 3 electrics, 2 basses, and the
piano that I've owned and either sold/traded off... right now I'm down
to 2 acoustics, 1 electric, and a piano.

And that's not counting all my wife's flutes, piccolos, and clarinets
stashed around the house either :-)

-Russ

Russ Benoit ***@comcast.net
AIM: ltricshoes
http://russtopher.blogspot.com
http://thebruinsreport.blogspot.com

Where *is* that confounded bridge??????
rick
2005-08-22 16:26:31 UTC
Post by Russ Benoit
[...]
I should prolly pick up a flute for my wife. "This one time.....at band
camp......."
Mick
2005-08-22 16:51:25 UTC
Crap with good cymbals.

Crap with good heads and cymbals.

I really need to change this, especially since I'm playing out
as a drummer. I get the weirdest looks when they see what I
laughingly call my "kit".
---Mikhael...
Mark Polis
2005-08-23 03:20:34 UTC
(In order) these are gone now:

- Japanese "Tempo" BDP 14x20 // 9x13 / 5x14 snare with 14x14 Japanese WMP ft
add-on and "Super" cymbals
- Slingerland WMP 14x22 // 9x13 / 16x16 / Buddy Rich chrome snare with
Zoomatic strainer & real A Zildjians!
- Pearl birch kit 14x22 // 8x12 / 9x13 / 16x16
- Yamaha Recording Customs - piano black lacquer 22x16 // 10x8 / 12x8 / 13x9
/ 14x14 / 16x16 / Manu Katche snare
- Ludwig '60's keystone badge black oyster pearl "Ringo kit" - 14x22 // 9x13
/ 16x16 / matching Jazz Festival snare
- Ludwig '60's WMP keystone badge (from Ronn Dunnett!) 14x22 // 9x13 / 16x16
/ Supraphonic snare
- Gretsch round badge champagne sparkle (from Rob Schuh!) 20x14 // 8x12 /
14x14 with add-on matching Max Roach 4x14 Progressive Jazz snare and 5œx14
Name Band snare
- Rogers BDP "Citadel" beavertail kit (Cleveland, script logo badge) 14x20
// 8x12 / 14x14 / matching Dynasonic and Powertone snare drums!
- Sonor Phonics - white wrap - 14x18 // 8x12 / 14x14 / ferromanganese snare
- Yamaha Maple Customs retrofitted with Vintage wood Hoops - black stain
lacquer - 14x18 // 8x12 / 14x14 / matching snare
- Sonor Designer Maple Lights in bubinga veneer - 14x20 and 14x18 bass drums
// 8x10 / 8x12 / 14x14 / Maple Heavy 6œx14 snare
- Sonor Jungle Kit green satin 16"bd // 10 / 13
- SonorLites in creme lacquer - 17x22 // 8x10 / 9x12 / 15x14 / 17x16 / 7x14
matching snare
- Sonor Designer Birch in bubinga veneer - 18x22 // 8x10 / 8x12 / 14x14 /
ferro 6œx14 snare
- Gretsch round badge tangerine glitter 14x20 // 8x12 / 14x14 / 5œx14 Name
Band snare

....but still have these:

Gretsches:
- round badge gold glitter 14x18 // 8x12 / 14x14 / 5œx14 and 6œx14 matching
snares
- square badge red rosewood lacquer Customs (mid to late '80's) 16x22,
16x20, 16x18, 14x18 bass drums // 8x10 / 8x12 / 9x13 / 11x13 / 12x14 / 14x14
/ 16x16
- square badge burnt orange lacquer Customs (late '90's) 16x18 // 8x10 /
8x12 / 14x14
- square badge clear natural maple lacquer Customs (late '90's) 16x22 //
5œx8 / 8x10 / 8x12 / 14x14 / 16x16
- square badge ebony satin finish Customs ('90's pre-Kaman) 16x18 // 8x10 /
8x12 / 14x14
- square badge red rosewood lacquer Customs ('80's) 16x16 FT-BD conversion
with riser // 6œx10 / 8x12 / 12x14 with legs

Canopus:
- black oyster pearl wrap "Standard" 14x18 // 8x12 / 13x14

Fibes:
- crushed glass glitter wrap 14x18 // 8x12 / 14x14 / 5œx14 snare

Wow. I never saw all this together. Scary.
o-----«  Mark Polis  ***@suscom.net »-----o

"You play because you must." - drummer Tony Williams
....Aaron
Sam Savoca
2005-08-23 11:56:50 UTC
Post by Mark Polis
[...]
You had the matching Dynasonic and the 14x14 with the Cleveland Rogers set?
Ah! That explains why you regret selling them.

Don't tell me they were sold to buy Sonors.

Sam S.
Mark Polis
2005-08-23 19:00:17 UTC
Sam,
First I sold that BDP Dynasonic for over $1500 (they're fetching even MORE
today!).

And then traded the rest of that Cleveland 14x20 / 8x12 / 14 x14 / Powertone
snare, Swivo-era BDP Rogers kit for my very first set of contemporary bop
Gretsches from Lee Ruff - 16x18 / 8x12 / 14x14 / matching 5.5x14 square
badge red rosewoods.

Never regretted it for an instant, although those Rogers drums sounded (and
looked) fantastic - but they were damned HEAVY.

Only bummer - on my way to the trade, the front end of my Subaru was totaled
in a three car collision (I was the third car) - so right before it was
towed away, I put my Rogers kit in the trunk of my son's car and continued
onward to meet Lee for the swap.

NOTHING gets in the way of Gretsch.

Sam S.
Jim
2005-08-24 05:17:52 UTC
Post by Mark Polis
[...]
Wow I almost Mirror your collection.
4 piece Japanese Tempro set
4 Piece 1963 Slingy's
oops OK except for those other lesser kits we have the same set history.
Mark Polis
2005-08-24 18:35:14 UTC
As best as I can remember I got the Tempo's around 1965. Man, what crap
they were. Almost as bad as the cymbals I had with them.

The WMP Slingerlands were my dream - I used to fall asleep poring over the
Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers and Premier catalogs. I'm sure I knew
them all by heart.
I scrounged and saved every cent until I could finally walk into Manny's and
order up my Slingys. I think I got them around 1968 or '69, not certain.
What a thrill - my first American drumset.
Late at night I'd slip downstairs while my parents were sleeping and just
sit there looking at them. I'm serious - I had it bad. And it's only
gotten worse. >^)

Russ Benoit
2005-08-25 13:06:38 UTC
Post by Mark Polis
As best as I can remember I got the Tempo's around 1965. Man, what crap
they were. Almost as bad as the cymbals I had with them.
The WMP Slingerlands were my dream - I used to fall asleep poring over the
Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers and Premier catalogs. I'm sure I knew
them all by heart.
I scrounged and saved every cent until I could finally walk into Manny's and
order up my Slingys. I think I got them around 1968 or '69, not certain.
What a thrill - my first American drumset.
Late at night I'd slip downstairs while my parents were sleeping and just
sit there looking at them. I'm serious - I had it bad. And it's only
gotten worse. >^)
My first kit was purchased brand new with my paper route money (and a
little help haggling with the salesguy from my father). The minute I had
the exact amount, to the penny, I ran out and bought them. I didn't even
have enough money for cymbals, it was almost 2 months before I finally
got a pair of Paiste 400 hats and my drum teacher let me borrow an old
18" Zildjian.

I kept that kit in my room, and the first two nights I had it I just sat
behind it and played air drums while I was supposed to be sleeping.

It was awesome :-)

Dan R H
2005-08-23 10:55:02 UTC
Umm...

Charlie Chips cans and plastic garbage cans
Blue spkrl Ludwig
Silver spkrl Ludwig X2
Natural Ludwig
Clear Fibes
Pearl fiberglasss white (concert toms)
Gretsch Cherry
Premier Resonator natural
Gretsch red cherry
Yamaha RC quartz gray
Simmons
Premier Resonator natural
DW royal to regal burst
DIY maple keller shells
V Sessions (still use)
Gretsch USA Maples Ebony matte
Yamaha MCA Pink sprkl (still use)
Premier Signia (mixed, rewrapped silver glass glitter) Jeff Burns now owns
Yamaha BCA's (still use)
--
Dan Hertlein
http://danhertlein.com/
....Aaron
tony kujawa
2005-08-23 18:09:27 UTC
slingerland 5pc circa late 70's concert toms
ludwig rocker 9pc w/modular (heavy azz) hardware
ludwig superclassic 9pc (should've never sold these)
yamaha maple classic vintage finish, great toms sh*t bass drum
darwins, should've kept these and reworked them, jasper shells, damn.
dw tobacco burst, crappy hardware quality compared to yamaha, ok sound
sonor designer, not impressed with the sound, heavy a**ed boat anchors,
beautiful engineering though.
tama starclassic maple in gradation raspberry, simply the best sounding bass
drum ever, best design in mounting, highest quality craftsmanship i've seen
in mass produced drums, 95% of gretsch tom sound at half the price and twice
the quality, still have them and always will.
gretsch usa maple, that great gretsch sound with cheap a**ed hardware. nice
finish
various starclassic preformers, could never get into the birch sound
yamaha beech customs x 3, nice mix between birch and maple
yamaha recording custom, great tom sound, bass drum has no rumble
....Aaron
n***@zoomnet.net
2005-08-23 21:06:44 UTC
1 My first Kit was a STAR five piece in Blue Satin Flame with some
crappy cymbals.

2 Traded the STARS in for a LUDWIG super Classic outfit in WMP.
(I was into Joe Morello) I used the Ludwigs for years and years. Added
more
Ludwig Classic Toms to the set up in the 70s and 80s. 10, 10, 12, 13,
14, 16, 18 Built a custom 18x22 Bass in WMP to use with the Luddys.
I still have them all and use them from time to time.

3.Pearl maple kit.10, 12, 14, 16, 22 Black. I used this kit as my main
kit
until the last couple of years.

3.5 Began to use triggers on some gigs with the Pearls and Ludwigs. I
used a D4 and later a DM5. I use ddrum triggers.

4.Electronic Kit with Drum Kat, Some Roland, Hart, and Drum Tech Pads.
Modules include D4, DM5, DMPro, Proteus. It is a Frankenstein kit.
I have the fever for a TD 20...but not the money.

5.Began to restore a Clear VISTALITE kit. 5.5x14, 12,13, 16, 18,22.
I used this kit for some gigs last winter and Spring. They are pretty
look at but not that much to hear.

6. Began to collect Pearl BRX in Wine Red. So far I have 18x22, 10,
12, 14, 16. I'm looking for deals on all sizes if any body has some to
sell. These drums are my favorites.

I have one more that I never use. About 10 years ago my longtime
friend, and
fellow drummer ,John Bane passed away. His widow gave me the drumset
that John had as a boy.
It's a beat up Camco with white wrap. As a teenager John played them
with a local group "The Impalas".
John's wife now lives on St. Simon's Island, Georgia, where she
teachers music in elementary school.
Pat McDonald
2005-08-23 21:44:05 UTC
Post by n***@zoomnet.net
I have one more that I never use. About 10 years ago my longtime
friend, and
fellow drummer ,John Bane passed away. His widow gave me the drumset
that John had as a boy.
It's a beat up Camco with white wrap. As a teenager John played them
with a local group "The Impalas".
John's wife now lives on St. Simon's Island, Georgia, where she
teachers music in elementary school.
Unreal. About 3 weeks ago I played a show in Portsmouth OH and had the
privelege of hooking up with a fellow shriner, Mike Newman, who teaches music
at a local elementary school. We spent the day hanging out, chatting and
seeing the sights. Not five minutes after meeting him, he happened to
mention that a fellow teacher he knew there had recently moved to St. Simons
to teach elementary music. St. Simons is my home town. I grew up
there. I went to the school where his friend teaches and my brother's kids
go to the school and are in her classes. There are only 3 elementary
schools there and one is private so the odds are good that this may be the
same lady.

Small world, ain't it?

Pat
Pat McDonald
2005-08-23 21:46:48 UTC
I guess it helps to read who posted the damn post to begin with doesn't it?
Jeezis. Never mind......

Sometimes I amaze myself.....

; )

Pat
Rev. Poindexter
2005-08-26 20:41:44 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
[...]
It's definitely an addiction. It'd take up a lot less space if I
switched to coins....

1965 KB Ludwig 13, 13, 16, 22, 22 in silver sparkle (still got most of
'em) now it's 12, 13, 14FT, 16FT, 22. 1977 - present

60's Pearl crappo kit in rootbeer brown swirl -1983 . Bought 'em, sold
the shellset for almost what I had bought the kit for, kept the cymbals
& hardware> I still have the Zildjian hihats and a Ludwig Atlas cymbal
stand from that deal.

Sonor Phonic Plus - white 12, 13, 14, 16, 24. 1985 to 1998
Sonor Performer - white 10, 12, 14, 22. 1998-1999
Sonor Champion rosewood 10, 14, 18 - assembled from eBay orphans 1999 -
present.
Sonor Force 3000 - Scandy Birch finish - poor man's Sonorlites
Originally 8, 12, 12, 13, 14, 16 (all mounted) 22. I've since added 16
and 18 floors, sold the 13. - 2001 - present

In the late 90's I started buying Phonic orphans, mshells, parts to do
a recovering project. I bought two Phonic mahogany orphans for the
project and decided it would be a crime to recover them.
Sonor Phonic - metallic bronze wrap 13, 14, 16, 22. 2000-2001.
Basically traded them for a 12, 13, 16, 22 Phonic Mahogany kit after I
bought those first two orphans.
Phonic Mahogany 10, 12, 14, 20 2003-present
With the addition of some other orphans including a 14x18 DB and two
Phonic Plus floor toms it's one huge stack of mahogany Phonics.

Sonor Hilite black diamond - 8, 10, 12, 13, 14FT, 16FT, 2x20BD - 2003-
present. I've addes a few other pieces to this one as well, most
notably 15 and 18 floor toms, a 22 and 18 bass drums.

So that makes a total (technically) of 10 kits bought and 4 sold. It's
almost impossible to have a completely accurate count since so many
orphans have been traded around.

We don't eveen want to get started on snares...

RP
Barbara
2005-08-28 19:25:55 UTC
Post by Aaron Draper
What about you?
First kit was a Ludwig smoky Vistalite (I was a Bonham wannabe!).
Then there was my prog kit - Slingerland maple with 8, 10, 12, 13, and
16" toms, double bass, and a boatload of percussion (and household
items that became percussion!). Then I had a purple Tama Rockstar kit,
and my current kit is a rosewood Premier Cabria.

Four kits so far, but I'm looking into a fifth now - probably a Yamaha
be-bop kit.

Cheers,
Barbara
Matt
2005-08-29 05:50:52 UTC
This is almost embarrassing.
1. A combination of Polaris/Torodor red sparkle drums 20", 12",13",16" with
a mismatch of Pearl, DW, and Tama hardware. A Ludwig supraphonic 5.5"x 14"
snare, or a Premier Artist 5.5"x14" snare, or a ludwig 13" wood piccolo
snare. Still have it. Still gig it.
2. A Pearl Export Select Fusion kit in Aqua Marine. 10", 12", 14", 20"
Same snares as above. Still have it. Still gig it.

That's it. I have never been a gear hound and have never had (or been
willing to part with) the disposable income to get something "professional"
yet I never get complaints about my drum sound and I get hired repeatedly.
Go figure.

Matt Porter