Tama Granstar
DPercussions
2003-11-10 19:01:16 UTC
I just picked up a Granstar in 13, 16 and 22 for a song. Beat all the hell on
the plastic covering but found some very nice veneer underneath. So I will be
finishing these in natural. Any Granstar owners care to enlighten me on the
virtues of this kit? So far I like the sound of these thick shelled drums, a
little different from what I currently have.

Darick
Chris Milillo
2003-11-11 18:29:57 UTC
Post by DPercussions
I just picked up a Granstar in 13, 16 and 22 for a song. Beat all the hell on
the plastic covering but found some very nice veneer underneath. So I will be
finishing these in natural. Any Granstar owners care to enlighten me on the
virtues of this kit? So far I like the sound of these thick shelled drums, a
little different from what I currently have.
Darick
Well, Granstars are the successor to the Superstars, which as most here
know, I own and love. They are both birch shelled kits and until the
introduction of the Artstars, Superstars were Tama's top of the line drum.
Try a Google Groups search for Tama Superstar(s). And enjoy those bad boys!

CM
Frisco netzero.net>
2003-11-12 18:26:19 UTC
Awesome sounding drums. Birch shells, a bit on the heavy side but
worth lugging them around. A friend of mine's set is actually what
got me back into playing. He set them up and we started jamming (I
play guitar, too), my Pearl Exports had been sitting in the basement
being ignored. I played his Granstars and they just blew me away, so
I sold the Exports and I've been lurking here trading drumkits like a
madman for the past two years.

My buddy is actually thinking of selling the set - Granstar Customs -
and moving up to a set of Sonors soon. He hasn't figured how out to
"market" them tho. He's got some odd sizes and he's had offers to buy
some singles, but doesn't know how well he'd do selling the remaining
orphans. If anyone's interested, this is what he has:

Black Lacquer Finish - very good shape
Long lugs, I believe
11"-12" mounted toms (yep, the oddball 'leven size)
18" floor tom
22" kick
matching snare

I don't recall specific depths, but I could get that. The offers have
been for the 18" floor and the 11" tom. But that would leave him with
a kick and a 12" tom... believe it or not, I saw MF was selling
Fiberskin heads on sale for an 11" tom for 39 cents each. Hell, for
deals like that it'd be worth keeping the thing! ;-)

Paul

CM
nick amoroso
2003-11-12 22:57:16 UTC
i saw a big pearlescent PINK granstar kit at a shop today. ah, 80's metal
memories.

\m/

peace,
:nick amoroso:
professional drums and instruction
proud endorser of silver fox drumsticks
http://www.nickamoroso.com
-----
"i might not be that perfect son, but y'all be rockin when i'm done" ~ jack
black
Dan Radin
2003-11-12 23:07:24 UTC
Champagne Rose!
nick amoroso
2003-11-12 23:18:47 UTC
Post by Dan Radin
Champagne Rose!
yeah, okay.

pearlescent pink! double bass! nineteen toms!

black
Billy Rhythm
2003-11-13 01:14:35 UTC
I thought it was Dusty Rose. We are both wrong.

Colors for Granstars: Cherry Rose, Nile Blue, Silky Yellow, Gun
Metallic Grey, Pure White, Jet Black, and Firestorm Red.

Granstar Customs: Lipstick Red (love this color), Heather Metallic
(love this one more!), Cherry Wine, Piano Black, Candy Apple Red, and
Pure White.

Granstars Customs were lacquered, the others covered.

Then, there were the Granstar IIs, with long lugs. They also had a
amber lacquered version that was gorgeous!

Billy Rhythm
--
"The highest form of execution on a
musical instrument is jazz."

Art Blakey

Champagne Rose!
Dan Radin
2003-11-13 04:08:35 UTC
Post by Dan Radin
Post by nick amoroso
i saw a big pearlescent PINK granstar kit at a shop today. ah, 80's metal
memories.
Champagne Rose!
I thought it was Dusty Rose. We are both wrong.
We were both close. Cherry Rose. Ah those were the days. Everybody had 94
toms...
Brandon Paluzzi
2003-11-18 19:34:07 UTC
I bought the Cherry Rose Granstar kit that was offered on RMMP for a
LOOONG time (kept lowering the price, and I finally bit).

It was 8-10-12-14, with an 18 "bass" (floor tom on riser, still had steel
rims)

Also came with a 3x13 Ascend (LP) picc, and a 2-sided gibraltar rack w/
all mounting hardware + 2 cymbal arms.

Total price: $550

Sent them to Jeff Rowekamp, where he recovered them in Canyon Blue Marble
wrap, added spurs and wood hoops to the 18" for an additional $300

I sold the rack for $100, sold the picc for $75, sold the cymbal arms for
$10 a piece, sold the granstar tom arms (3) for $30 a piece, sold the
granstar lugs for $2.50 a piece (60 lugs), sold the kick riser for $50

Sold the newly recovered + "bass drummified" 18" for $250 Sold the
original 18" steel hoops, floor tom mounts, and floor tom legs for $50

Spent $50 and some parts I had lying around to convert the 14" into a kick
drum. Used a bunch of old lugs to rebuild the drums with a less
"hair band" look. Spent $30 to convert all the drums to
acoustic/electrics (internally triggered, still usable as strictly
acoustics)

Cost:
550
300
-100
-75
-20
-90
-150
-50
-250
-50
50
30

Total cost: $70

Final product:

In the studio, I'll switch between these toms (putting the 14 back as a
rack tom) or my birch Pearls, using my 22x18 Pearl monster kick. It's a
great sounding kit that goes to tape extremely well.

***@bpaluzzi.net http://www.projectpercussion.com
http://www.innovativepercussion.com
Pete Pemberton
2003-11-18 20:12:33 UTC
http://www.bpaluzzi.net/images/fullset.jpg
In the studio, I'll switch between these toms (putting the 14 back as a
rack tom) or my birch Pearls, using my 22x18 Pearl monster kick. It's a
great sounding kit that goes to tape extremely well.
I remember that kit. I even think I helped him wrap one or two of them.

PP
DPercussions
2003-11-20 18:56:44 UTC
Subject: Re: Tama Granstar
Date: 11/18/03 2:34 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]
Brandon......sounds like 70.00 was a good final investment and what fun making
all those stops along the way.

I paid $104.00 w/tax on the 16x22, 16x16 and 12x13 Granstars. Still looking for
a 10" or 12" tom.

Darick

DPercussions
2003-11-14 19:49:09 UTC
I just found an old Tama catalog from way back and apparently mine are the
Granstar II's with the long lugs. I will give them a real acid test saturday
night on the next gig but just this week banging on them around the house I am
getting used to their sound. These birch shells are quite thick and have a nice
meaty attack, especially the kick. I am just not too fond of thin shells
anymore.

Darick
CM
Frisco netzero.net>

CM
DPercussions
2003-11-17 20:13:55 UTC
Date: 11/15/03 11:37 AM Eastern Standard Time
Aren't they nice? Very similar sound to my Force 3000's, both are
fairly heavy birch shells.
Paul
Very nice drums indeed! They were beloved by the soundman whom ran up to the
stage after soundcheck to tell me they were the best sounding kit I have
brought out to date. Has yet to hear my Pearl kit though.

Yes they are quite heavy too, probably heaviest drums I own now. Lots of
percussiveness to them for sure so they do make great live drums.

Darick
Kurgan666
2003-11-11 22:41:23 UTC
Post by DPercussions
I just picked up a Granstar in 13, 16 and 22 for a song. Beat all the hell on
the plastic covering but found some very nice veneer underneath. So I will be
finishing these in natural. Any Granstar owners care to enlighten me on the
virtues of this kit? So far I like the sound of these thick shelled drums, a
little different from what I currently have.
Darick
I had a set of Granstar Customs (laquered in a bad ass "Lipstick Red"
finish, but was basically hot pink =-) back in the late 80's. They
were some kickin' tubs. They're thicker shelled than the SC Maples I
have now and had a warm, round sound. Not tons of attack, but they
were great for the cover band in which I used them.
chetatkinsdiet
2003-11-12 01:26:35 UTC
The only rip against the Granstar's is that they only came in power
sizes. I do like them and the sound very similar to the Superstars
that I've owned...maybe a bit more 80s metal sounding....think Lars.
The kick drums were the highlight of the series. I haven't heard many
kicks that are more powerful than a 24" granstar.
later,