Henry Adler Video-20th Anniversary
ken
2004-12-09 15:12:48 UTC
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
I am the producer of the original 120 minute Henry Adler Hand Development
Technique video made in 1985. I have several unopened shrink wrapped tapes
that I would be willing to sell at $25 (below cost) to any serious
students,teachers or professional musicians.

I produced this video because I truly believed and still do that Henry is
one of the few living legends.

This is not a flashy video but it definitely will develop your chops. It is
100% instructional-just Henry and the drum kit.

If you are not completely satisfied with this video I will buy it back at
your cost.

If interested please email.
***@bellsouth.net

Ken
JaKe
2004-12-09 16:27:51 UTC
Post by ken
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
I am the producer of the original 120 minute Henry Adler Hand Development
Technique video made in 1985. I have several unopened shrink wrapped tapes
that I would be willing to sell at $25 (below cost) to any serious
students,teachers or professional musicians.
I produced this video because I truly believed and still do that Henry is
one of the few living legends.
This is not a flashy video but it definitely will develop your chops. It is
100% instructional-just Henry and the drum kit.
If you are not completely satisfied with this video I will buy it back at
your cost.
If interested please email.
Ken
Henry who?
--
JaKe,
Seattle
http://drummerjk.blogspot.com
Vin
2004-12-09 17:03:07 UTC
Post by JaKe
Post by ken
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
I am the producer of the original 120 minute Henry Adler Hand Development
Technique video made in 1985. I have several unopened shrink wrapped tapes
that I would be willing to sell at $25 (below cost) to any serious
students,teachers or professional musicians.
I produced this video because I truly believed and still do that Henry is
one of the few living legends.
This is not a flashy video but it definitely will develop your chops. It is
100% instructional-just Henry and the drum kit.
If you are not completely satisfied with this video I will buy it back at
your cost.
If interested please email.
Ken
Henry who?
i actually own that video! some guy gave me a box of drum videos and it was
in it. i couldn't sit through it, what an irritating old man. he had some
kid there to show us how not to do things. 'no not like that! like this!
you're doing it all wrong!'

no offense to mr. producer
Steve Turner
2004-12-09 17:37:50 UTC
Post by Vin
Post by JaKe
Post by ken
[...]
Yeah, about a year ago curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a
copy ("Who is this guy who supposedly taught Buddy Rich everything he
knows?"). I watched it once, and never again! The guy is a pompous,
bona fide DICK. His "teaching" method is nothing but a constant
onslaught of negative reinforcement. And any time the student does
something right? Complete silence. He never utters a single positive word!

Maybe that explains why Buddy Rich could be such a prick...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
nick amoroso
2004-12-09 17:56:15 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Yeah, about a year ago curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a
copy ("Who is this guy who supposedly taught Buddy Rich everything he
knows?"). I watched it once, and never again! The guy is a pompous,
bona fide DICK. His "teaching" method is nothing but a constant
onslaught of negative reinforcement. And any time the student does
something right? Complete silence. He never utters a single positive word!
Maybe that explains why Buddy Rich could be such a prick...
this might also explain why "ken" won't follow through on his agreement to send
me a copy for review (or acknowledge my posts requesting the same). because if
it's truly shit, i'll review it as such.

peace,
:nick amoroso:
professional drums and instruction
http://www.nickamoroso.com
-----
'I've been all around the world, and I've never seen a statue of a critic." ~
Leonard Bernstein
Steve Turner
2004-12-09 18:08:04 UTC
Post by nick amoroso
Post by Steve Turner
Yeah, about a year ago curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a
copy ("Who is this guy who supposedly taught Buddy Rich everything he
knows?"). I watched it once, and never again! The guy is a pompous,
bona fide DICK. His "teaching" method is nothing but a constant
onslaught of negative reinforcement. And any time the student does
something right? Complete silence. He never utters a single positive word!
Maybe that explains why Buddy Rich could be such a prick...
this might also explain why "ken" won't follow through on his agreement to send
me a copy for review (or acknowledge my posts requesting the same). because if
it's truly shit, i'll review it as such.
I tell you what. For the cost of shipping this thing to the first
recipient, I'll donate my copy to RMMP. We can buck it around to
whoever wants to watch it, and I don't care what happens to it after
that. Nick, you can be the first in line if you want. Anybody else
interested in that deal?
nick amoroso
2004-12-09 19:12:44 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
I tell you what. For the cost of shipping this thing to the first
recipient, I'll donate my copy to RMMP. We can buck it around to
whoever wants to watch it, and I don't care what happens to it after
that. Nick, you can be the first in line if you want. Anybody else
interested in that deal?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
count me in. i promise to give it a fair and honest review, despite "ken's"
poor demeanor here. please e-mail me for address info. thanks.

Leonard Bernstein
Don Nafe

Leonard Bernstein
Mark Rance
2004-12-10 06:21:44 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by nick amoroso
Post by Steve Turner
[...]
I'll throw mine in the pot, too.

-Mark
Joey
This only about the 20th time 'Mr Producer' has spammed this here.
JaKe
2004-12-09 18:01:26 UTC
Post by Vin
Post by JaKe
Post by ken
[...]
Hey, I think I did some gigs with that same guy :-)
Chris Whealy
2004-12-09 17:34:27 UTC
Post by ken
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
I am the producer of the original 120 minute Henry Adler Hand Development
Technique video made in 1985.
20th anniversary...

Made in 1985...

Its now 2004...

Have I missed something here?

Chris W
--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.
nick amoroso
2004-12-09 17:41:31 UTC
Post by ken
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
and it's also the third or fourth time i have asked you to follow through on
your agreement to send me a copy for review. you plan on doing that any time
soon?

Leonard Bernstein
ken
2004-12-09 18:37:39 UTC
Post by nick amoroso
Post by ken
Today is the 20th annivsersary of this classic video.
and it's also the third or fourth time i have asked you to follow through on
your agreement to send me a copy for review. you plan on doing that any time
soon?
OK.. here's the scoop. Now don't anyone take this personally.

Vin...you obviously don't know much about the history of music and its true
legends. I suspect you are not a professional musician. But be that as it
may.. it is disrespectful to refer to Henry Adler as an irritating old man.
If you had the ability to understand the message he was trying to convey you
could probably have become a better drummer than you are today (if you are
any good to begin with). He has taught many all time greats and published
many books that are still used by top instructors worldwide almost 50 years
after they were published. Do some research and learn.

Steve. you seem to be able to rhyme Dick and Prick but I suspect that is
that extent of your ability to learn. Henry obviously didn't teach Buddy
"everything" but he did work with him to make Buddy a more complete
musician.

Nick...you are correct I did indicate that I would send you a video to
review. I had second thoughts.. The video was reviewed by the chief editor
of MD and it received exceptional ratings. I believe it was Ron Spag.. who
did the review. I am not quite sure what your qualifications are to perform
an unbiased review but it seems that based upon your usage of the English
language that it would not be the most dignified piece of literary
critiques. I am not willing to send you a free copy but if you order one
like anybody else AND you do not see the value in this video I will refund
everything you paid plus your shipping plus $5 for your time and effort to
review.

Joey.. Yes I have advertised here for many years. This is a forum for
informed percussionists and therefore it is appropriate to advertise a
related item that I consider to be a valuable tool to aspiring drummers. I
do not consider this spamming. I advertise every other month or so. Over 20
years I have only had one person who requested a refund. Not a bad track
record.

Chris..Obviously a true mathematician.. Video was released on Jan 1, 1985.
Technically it will not be 20 years until Jan 1, 2005.. I took the liberty
of exaggerating the last 21 days of December. I hope you can live with this

My no cost refund still applies. If you do not find it to be a valuable
tool in your hand development all you need to do is email and send it back.
I even authorize you to make a copy if you like.

Now...everyone have a nice day and enjoy the holidays...Remember the X-mas
spirit.. Be nice to your fellow man.

Peace, "Ken" .. BTW that is my real name and this is my real email addy
Russ Benoit
2004-12-09 18:43:58 UTC
Post by ken
Nick...you are correct I did indicate that I would send you a video to
review. I had second thoughts.. The video was reviewed by the chief editor
of MD and it received exceptional ratings. I believe it was Ron Spag.. who
did the review. I am not quite sure what your qualifications are to perform
an unbiased review but it seems that based upon your usage of the English
language that it would not be the most dignified piece of literary
critiques. I am not willing to send you a free copy but if you order one
like anybody else AND you do not see the value in this video I will refund
everything you paid plus your shipping plus $5 for your time and effort to
review.
Did youse here that Nick? Them sounds like fightin' words! Why does
Ralph Wiggum come to mind right now...
Post by ken
Joey.. Yes I have advertised here for many years. This is a forum for
informed percussionists and therefore it is appropriate to advertise a
related item that I consider to be a valuable tool to aspiring drummers. I
do not consider this spamming. I advertise every other month or so. Over 20
years I have only had one person who requested a refund. Not a bad track
record.
Well, that track record is great and all, but the *other* guy who
ordered it is willing to give it away for nothing!

-Russ

Visit the Lexington Music website
http://lexingtonmusic.cjb.net

"All Empires fall sooner or later" - Larry Lucchino, CEO of the SOX
nick amoroso
2004-12-09 19:03:31 UTC
Post by ken
Nick...you are correct I did indicate that I would send you a video to
review. I had second thoughts.. The video was reviewed by the chief editor
of MD and it received exceptional ratings. I believe it was Ron Spag.. who
did the review. I am not quite sure what your qualifications are to perform
an unbiased review but it seems that based upon your usage of the English
language that it would not be the most dignified piece of literary
critiques. I am not willing to send you a free copy but if you order one
like anybody else AND you do not see the value in this video I will refund
everything you paid plus your shipping plus $5 for your time and effort to
review.
thanks for the hearty laugh, "ken." my reviews have appeared here, and are at
www.drumdojo.com and www.canopusdrums.com, among a few other sites. product
reviews of mine have have also appeared in modern drummer magazine and mountain
bike magazine. funny that they'd run my words, if i'm such an "undignified"
writer. (lol.) but no matter.

my advice to you would be to leave out the poor attempts at insults next time.
i *was* willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

won't make that mistake again.

Leonard Bernstein
ken
2004-12-09 19:12:04 UTC
Post by nick amoroso
writer. (lol.) but no matter.
my advice to you would be to leave out the poor attempts at insults next time.
i *was* willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
won't make that mistake again.
I, nor the video, do not need the benefits of anyones doubts. We both stand
on our merits. The reason for the tongue in cheek comments was that it
really appears that many members who commented did not understand this
video.. and BTW if you are looking for insults read what was said about
Henry. Criticize his works.. OK.. but not the man unless you know him.
He is revered in the music world and deserves repsect..he has earned it.
Anyhows, i always enjoyed MB magazine.. MD became too commercial.

Reagrds, Ken
Lee Jones
2004-12-09 21:24:12 UTC
Post by ken
OK.. here's the scoop. Now don't anyone take this personally.
Direct insult number 1.
Post by ken
Vin...you obviously don't know much about the history of music and its
Passive insult.
Post by ken
true legends. I suspect you are not a professional musician. But be
Direct insult number 2
Post by ken
irritating old man. If you had the ability to understand the message
Direct insult number 3
Post by ken
drummer than you are today (if you are any good to begin with). He has
Condescending statement.
Post by ken
published. Do some research and learn.
With the clever use of a spreadsheet and some graph paper I could only
come up with one conclusion:

Ken is a dick.

Keep in mind that I was using Excel so Ken may actually be an asshole and
not a dick but for now I am going to go with the whole dick thing.
--
Lee

"The world is basically made up of two kinds of people: assholes
and ass kickers, you gotta bend over or lift your foot."
- Frank Zappa
nick amoroso
2004-12-09 21:57:00 UTC
Post by Lee Jones
Keep in mind that I was using Excel so Ken may actually be an asshole and
not a dick but for now I am going to go with the whole dick thing.
--
Lee
i think he's just a little defensive, as he's a) been shown to be one who only
contributes spam to the newsgroup, and b) the producer of a video that's
already been touted by people here as not being very good. can you blame him?
:-)

me, i look forward to seeing this thing for myself.

Leonard Bernstein
Mark Rance
2004-12-10 06:30:27 UTC
Post by nick amoroso
Post by Lee Jones
Keep in mind that I was using Excel so Ken may actually be an asshole and
not a dick but for now I am going to go with the whole dick thing.
--
Lee
i think he's just a little defensive, as he's a) been shown to be one who only
contributes spam to the newsgroup, and b) the producer of a video that's
already been touted by people here as not being very good. can you blame him?
:-)
me, i look forward to seeing this thing for myself.
The kid in the video is allegedly his nephew. I suspect he required
considerable therapy after reaping the denigration from ole Uncle Hank and
having it recorded and distributed. I heard he became like Norm from
Cheers...corner seat at the bar. :^)

-Mark
Vin
$5 says his name is ken adler
Ed Pierce
2004-12-10 00:45:27 UTC
Post by ken
This is not a flashy video but it definitely will develop your chops. It is
100% instructional-just Henry and the drum kit.
Ken,

If I am not mistaken, Henry offers practically no instruction on drum kit
playing on this video, so you might want to change back to advertising it as
"just Henry and the snare." On 2/26/03 you posted to the group:

"In any future ads I will change "drumkit" to snare drum. Didn't intend
to mislead."

Thanks,

Ed Pierce
ken
2004-12-10 01:48:30 UTC
Ed, you are correct. I did a cut/paste and forgot to change the verbage.
Just curious.. how did you grab a post going back almost a year.. I use OE
and my newserver usually goes back only 6 months or so.

Thank you again, Ken
Ed Pierce
bradybunch
2004-12-10 03:52:10 UTC
for what it's worth, i studied for henry for about a year or so. he's
helped a lot of guys in ny gets their hands together, kinda like murray
spivack in LA. the same way you seee vinnie and weckyl with trad grip
is henry's approach. he helped me a lot, FWIW. certainly as much as
gary chester did. but then i like all that old school , back in the
day, don lamond stories kinda shit. i hope henry's doin ok.

mo
Ed Pierce
2004-12-10 06:44:02 UTC
Post by ken
Ed, you are correct. I did a cut/paste and forgot to change the verbage.
Just curious.. how did you grab a post going back almost a year.. I use OE
and my newserver usually goes back only 6 months or so.
I figured that's what you'd done, no problem. I just looked the post up on
Google's archives. They go back around 12 years or so.

For the record, I don't have anything against the video--I have it and I think
it has some great info in it--but it doesn't cover drumset technique, just hand
technique.

For all the criticism being heaped on Henry, the fact that he has taught some
great drummers (Louie Bellson, Alvin Stoller, Roy Burns, Jack Sperling, and
Buddy--although by his own admission he taught Buddy how to read, he didn't
instruct him in technique) should make one take what he has to say seriously
(even if one doesn't ultimately want to use all or part of his particular
method). He also has had quite a career as a drum book author, editor and
publisher.

Ed