Sandy McKee
p***@gmail.com
2015-05-18 06:06:33 UTC
Does anyone know what happened to Sandy?
Flamdaddy
2015-06-24 18:34:52 UTC
Anyone here hip to Cold Blood?
Just received 2 of their LPs. Sandy McKee was the drummer. He had a major
Clyde Stubblefield thing going on, nice chops, played the heck out of the
band, and had his own thing going on.
Can't find much on him in any of the web searches I've done.
Over to you,
Great to hear all this talk about Cold Blood. I loved them from the beginning -- since 'Thriller.' And I've featured Sandy and Cold Blood four times on my radio show, beginning in 2005. Cold Blood is even scheduled for the next edition of Ain't That a Groove as well. But I've never found a comprehensive bio (or discography) for Sandy anywhere on the web. Because Sandy and Cold Blood seem to be enjoying 'a revival' I'll try chatting again with their PR guy and some original members of the band.

--Bill Kilpatrick for Ain't That a Grove
Ain't That a Groove's Kickstarter Campaign
http://tiny.cc/dywpzx
http://www.live365.com/stations/flamdaddy
Samples from ATG's internet radio show
Raunch and Rock
http://tiny.cc/v1rozx

Drumming Soothsayers
http://tiny.cc/o5rozx

Series: Tribute to Hall of Fame Drummers
http://tiny.cc/xgsozx

Post-apocalyptic Jazz Drumming from Bill Stewart
http://tiny.cc/fdsozx
b***@gmail.com
I knew Sandy from Chicago. He was a left handed player and played his butt off.
k***@gmail.com
Sandy was a BAD drummer. He also sung too.I can't stay I believe. I play keyboards and our group in Seattle was Acapulco Gold.We played all their songs in the 1970s
t***@gmail.com
Sandy was a good friend of my older brother who was also a drummer. He spent holidays at our house and he was the funniest man I know. It was hard to eat cause he kept us all laughing so hard. I miss him so much.
j***@gmail.com
Over to you,
john@jmulder.net
ttttt
j***@gmail.com
2016-10-22 19:21:40 UTC
I was the trumpet player in the group Blue Magic in about 1967 for about 2 years with Sandy McKee (Cecil Stoltie) at the Players Lounge (night club) on Stevens Creek Rd. in San Jose. We played together for 6 nights a week. When the band broke up, Sandy and I moved on to other bands. He went on to work with Lydia at that point, and I went on to play with other horn bands, etc.

Yes Sandy was funny and accomplished as all of us were. We were getting ready to record and do some sessions work, but there were some politics that got in the way so we disassembled.

Sandy could out talk anyone and never seemed to take a breath, but he was very entertaining as well. Lot's of fun when all of the players in a band are of the same caliber.

Eric, the B3 player and singer was also pretty funny and they were both accomplished at vocals.

The reason for the hi hat being so low was that Sandy played both sides, from the bottom on the upswing and the top down. This was something he did automatically, filling his fills.

The music we did was current and original, all well done our way. We packed the house and when people revisit Sandy or any of the San Jose circuit they still remember how good we really were.

I have lost quite of friends including Bill Resch, a trumpet player from San Jose State. We were quite well thought of in teh Jazz Band, etc. There was another drummer I played with in the area ... Rick Quintinel. Rick and I took a sabbatical to Mexico on Spring Break One year. Wound up playing with the Don Ellis band ... I believe Indian Lady was a tune that was on the Electric Bath album. Crazy playing with Glen Stuart and those 4 valve trumpets in unusual time signatures. Worth listening to.

I bumped into Sandy during a concert at Stanford Amphitheater while he was playing with Cold Blood. It was like two brothers who were still joined at the hip.

Sandy was a good man and a great drummer... I think of him from time to time. He is still with us in spirit.
c***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 03:30:25 UTC
Would love to hear more about Sandy, Cecil as I know him. I am his son Christopher Stoltie.
m***@cardoctor.com
2018-03-11 02:32:02 UTC
I was a young kid playing drums in a local Bay Area soul band the Mystic Knights. I was invited to Cold Bloods practice session in a Richmond CA wArehouse. I was thrilled to watch Sandy and the band play. This left a huge impression on me and my playing. I still practice very hard and play along with Sandy on the Cold Blood albums. After 40 years plus of practice, I must say I have the grooves together. I was fortunate to also play with Michael Sassaki the guitar player of CB....Back to Sandy
A great drummer with a fantastic style. Not to many drummers could hang with him .... I found him giving a 30 minute drum lesson on you tube...audio only. Discussing playing live
j***@gmail.com
2020-02-23 07:34:08 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Would love to hear more about Sandy, Cecil as I know him. I am his son Christopher Stoltie.
Hi Christopher,
I knew Sandy, (Cecil) very well. He was my drum teacher on and off for about a decade, starting when I was around 9 or 10.
My email is ***@gmail.com If you'd like email me and I'll give you a call.
best,
Joshua

d***@gmail.com
2017-01-26 11:53:04 UTC
Oh, I LOVE Cold Blood and Sandy Mckee's drumming! Sadly, I understand he passed away in 1995. I was fortunate enough to see Cold Blood live twice with Sandy on drums and once with Gaylord Birch on drums, he of the Thriller album.
d***@gmail.com
2017-01-26 11:58:51 UTC
Yes most all off them are available on CD. Gaylord Birch was the drummer for Missing My Love from the Thriller Album.
d***@gmail.com
2017-01-26 12:05:52 UTC
Kissing My Love, that is
d***@gmail.com