Programming bass guitar sounds on Boss DR-770 drum machine
Ludwig77
2004-11-02 14:11:12 UTC
I have a Boss DR-770 drum machine. I regularly use it to create drum
sequences but I'm interested in possibly using it to create bass
guitar parts as well.

I use it with an outboard sequencer. The sequencer plays the drum
machine.

How would I go about doing this?

Would I have to create a bass track on a different midi channel? I
don't think this would work because I don't think the drum machine
(unlike a synth) can play multiple midi channels simultaneously.

If I'm right, then would I assign different notes on a custom drum kit
to be bass guitar and then sequence the drums and bass on the same
midi channel? For instance, perhaps the drum kit would take up some
lower octaves and in an upper range, I'd assign a couple of octaves to
bass guitar sounds?
MikeMandaville
2004-11-03 15:39:22 UTC
Hello, Greg.

I would be curious to know why you think that a drum machine might be capable
of producing bass guitar sounds.
Chris Milillo
2004-11-03 15:43:57 UTC
Post by MikeMandaville
Hello, Greg.
I would be curious to know why you think that a drum machine might be capable
of producing bass guitar sounds.
I'm not Greg, but some drum machines can produce bass guitar sounds.

This one, for example:
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/BOSS_DR670_DRUM_MACHINE.html

I believe the Roland R8 can, as well.

CM
MikeMandaville
2004-11-03 15:57:41 UTC
Post by Chris Milillo
I'm not Greg, but some drum machines can produce bass guitar sounds.
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/BOSS_DR670_DRUM_MACHINE.html
I believe the Roland R8 can, as well.
CM
Hmmm...interesting. If I was in the marketing department, I would insist that
it be labeled as a drum and bass machine.

For the past couple of days, it has been too cold for me to mow here in Austin.
It looks like my mowing season is over.
Steve Turner
2004-11-03 17:14:07 UTC
Post by MikeMandaville
Post by Chris Milillo
I'm not Greg, but some drum machines can produce bass guitar sounds.
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/BOSS_DR670_DRUM_MACHINE.html
I believe the Roland R8 can, as well.
CM
Hmmm...interesting. If I was in the marketing department, I would insist that
it be labeled as a drum and bass machine.
For the past couple of days, it has been too cold for me to mow here in Austin.
It looks like my mowing season is over.
Heck, I'm just starting to get comfy! Of course, I grew up in Missouri
so my definition of "cold" is a little different than most of the native
Austinites I know. :-)
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
MikeMandaville
2004-11-04 20:00:32 UTC
Steve Turner
Heck, I'm just starting to get comfy! Of course, I grew up in Missouri
so my definition of "cold" is a little different than most of the native
Austinites I know. :-)
Hello, Steve.

Evidently, the coldest it has ever gotten in Austin is minus two degrees below
zero, which is useful to know when purchasing antifreeze.

I would be curious to know if you perform in a band.

Mike Mandaville
in the hill country, just west of Austin
Steve Turner
2004-11-04 22:33:35 UTC
Post by MikeMandaville
Steve Turner
Heck, I'm just starting to get comfy! Of course, I grew up in Missouri
so my definition of "cold" is a little different than most of the native
Austinites I know. :-)
Hello, Steve.
Evidently, the coldest it has ever gotten in Austin is minus two degrees below
zero, which is useful to know when purchasing antifreeze.
I would be curious to know if you perform in a band.
Mike Mandaville
in the hill country, just west of Austin
Hey Mike,

Why yes, I do play drums in a band! :-) It's an 18-piece jazz
orchestra (give or take a few pieces) that was formed by a bunch of us
music afficianados, all of whom are trapped here in the same "day gig"
(ok, JOB) at a little ol' company called "IBM". It's really the first
playing gig I've had in many years, ever since I got tired of doing the
rock-star wanna-be thing back in the 80's. I took over as their drummer
a little over a year ago, and have been having a blast ever since. Most
of our gigs are just entertainment for various internal IBM events, but
we've recently started playing some external gigs under the name "The
Blue Diamonds Jazz Orchestra". No website yet, but supposedly somebody
in the band is working on one...

Gotta run; practice tonight! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
jmt
2004-11-03 17:11:07 UTC
Dear Greg;
I have a Bass player, who can,(when drunk), produce some rather
obnoxious MechanicallyInflectedFlatulence.
UnwillingRecipient of a NewWorldOdor;
jmt
CM
Ludwig77
2004-11-05 16:47:13 UTC
Post by MikeMandaville
Hello, Greg.
I would be curious to know why you think that a drum machine might be capable
of producing bass guitar sounds.
Yes, the drum machine can produce bass guitar sounds. They're on the
demo and their part of the selection of drum kits available on the
Boss-DR-770.

This is a fairly common feature of drum machines now days.